Wednesday 29 January 2020

Review: Rules of Engagement

Rules of Engagement Rules of Engagement by J.T. Geissinger
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Four and a half stars.

What happens when you pitch a diminutive Southern match-maker who dresses like a librarian hit by a bottle of Pepto-Bismol with a giant NFL quarterback with a potty mouth, a bad reputation and an even worse attitude? Could it be love at first sight?

I loved this, loved the snark, loved the plot, loved the characters. Just loved it.

Also, if you've read my reviews you know I'm not a fan of the zany or the madcap romantic comedy, too often it feels overdone in a mad kind of 'look at me I'm zany, I am' way - think any comedy starring Goldie Hawn. Well you could describe this as a little zany, Maddie's aunt fakes narcolepsy and sees auras for example, but it is done with such a light touch that it is enjoyable.

Also, I don't want to spoil the novel but the conflict towards the end is so well done, so different from the usual way these things are done that I nearly cheered out loud on the train last night.

Another gem from Ms Geissinger.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...