Thursday 15 September 2022

Review: Imitate the Dawn

Imitate the Dawn Imitate the Dawn by M.A. Grant
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

In the thrilling conclusion to the Whitethorn Agency trilogy, vampire Cristian Slava and his human bodyguard Atlas Kincaid must rescue Cristian's father and prove his innocence, which will require them to act as if they are no longer a couple. Their investigations into who is creating Strigoi will take them to the heart of the Vampire Council and uncover a shocking betrayal close to home.

First off, don't read this without having read the previous books as I did. There is no backstory info dump to set you up and I am very hazy as to things like what happened to Radu's father in the previous books or why Cristian's father was arrested. At 5% I was totally lost and willing to throw in the towel, it was like I had jumped into a book mid-way through. But I persevered, if only to spare myself the ignominy of DNFing a book so early, and gradually the plot grabbed me and took me along for the ride. Because it was the third book I never really understood what a Strigoi, is my guessing was based on reading Vampire Academy and the follow-on series, and it gave off a similar vibe.

I definitely want to read the earlier books in this series and I realise I missed the third book in the The Darkest Court series as well!

I received an ARC of this book from the publisher in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...