Monday 26 February 2018

Review: From Lukov with Love

From Lukov with Love From Lukov with Love by Mariana Zapata
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I had read mixed reviews from people whose judgement I value so I was a bit wary about reading this book, especially since I have not loved the last couple of books by Mariana Zapata but whoo wee I lurved this!

What made me decide to read this was one reviewer who likened it to the 1990s film The Cutting Edge, one of my favourite films of all time ("toe-pick"!) and whilst they are fundamentally different, there are a few similarities.

Jasmine Santos is fiercely true to herself. A figure skater, she was dumped by her former dancing partner, who didn't even have the guts to tell her himself, just let her find out from reading an article online about his new partner!! With a reputation for being difficult, argumentative and aggressive she has failed to get another partner and is trying to keep herself busy and motivated. Her time away from professional competitions has also acted as a bit of a wake-up call insofar as she neglected everyone and everything, including her family, for skating. Now Jasmine is trying to be a better person and reconnect with her family. Jasmine has pretty much written off everyone else she has ever known as being unreliable, untrustworthy and not worth her time. The only exception is her BFF, although they haven't spoken for at least a month due to their crazy schedules.

Then Jasmine gets invited to partner probably the best men's skater in the US, if not the world, for a year. He, Ivan Lukov, is Jasmine's BFF's older brother and the two of them hate each other. Ever since they first met practically they have traded insults and slurs. Now I love me an enemies to lovers trope so this was right up my alley. And I love, love, loved the slow burn romance as Jasmine comes to see that Lukov isn't as bad as she thought and whilst he might talk smack to her face he also has her back when it counts. Since Mariana Zapata is the Queen of the slow burn I actually have to say I didn't find the build up to romance a problem (I know it can seem as though the entire book goes by before the characters get together, indeed I think in the last book (which I haven't read) reviewers complained that they hadn't even met in the first half of the book. I also had no issue with reading from Jasmine's POV or her very negative self-perception, I thought that her attitude was fuelled by her perceived lack of support from those she cared for most.

However, I do struggle to understand Lukov's motivation - why in all the years he knew Jasmine did he never make a move on her? Never ask her for coffee? Never even offer to buy her coffee? Instead he was a little creepy in the way he interfered on her behalf (you say benevolent friend, I say stalker). Also, while I like the slow burn I think that waiting until practically the epilogue (I exaggerate slightly) before the protagonists have sex is too long.

Also, total aside, did anyone else worry about how much Jasmine's mother was drinking?

There were also plot lines which just seemed to fizzle out (view spoiler)what were they there for?

This wasn't perfect but it totally drew me into the world of competitive figure skating, the agony and the ecstasy, the dedication and the mind-numbing repetition. Mariana Zapata has woven her spell and I am entranced once more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...