Wednesday 1 August 2018

Review: Tiebreaker

Tiebreaker Tiebreaker by P. Dangelico
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I don't know where to start with this one. I have loved all the other books I have read by P Dangelico and I was super excited when I saw this had released. Unfortunately this felt like it was written by a different person.

Maren Murphy is a highly successful tennis player, dating her coach, she breaks her arm in the final of the US Open and discovers that her grandfather Rowdy has died and she is named as an executor of the will. Her grandfather's will has a number of stipulations, most of them involving the love of her life since she was 10 years old, Noah Callahan. Rowdy and Noah were business partners and if Maren is to inherit she must stay in her old home town and learn the business. Maren hasn't been back home for years, ever since Noah betrayed her most horribly. Now she is determined to come back a winner and rub his nose in it. According to the blurb Noah was a bad boy, he's reformed and he wants a chance to prove to Maren that he loves her. I have to say I saw very little evidence of any of that. Noah seemed to sulk and pout and be rude to Maren by turns, apparently she could see 'in his eyes' the feelings he isn't expressing. I call bulls&*t.

The previous books I have read (in the Hard to Love series) had endearing heroines and sparkled with humour. I have to say I didn't warm to Maren or Noah. I didn't see that either of them loved the other for the person they had become, their love seemed to be based on the teens they used to be. I certainly didn't find either of them loveable, or even likeable. I also have to say I am 'over' books where the main characters allude to 'something' which happened to change their lives and yet the reader is kept in suspense for most of the book as to what the 'something' is. Frankly by the time the secret is revealed I was (i) unimpressed and (ii) irritated beyond words. Also, it was a plot device I had read more than once before.

On the plus side, I want to read about Maren's sister Bebe - I see a twisted relationship between her and the dark and dangerous police chief as she tries to lose her pesky V-card in order to seduce Peter Perfect - some kind of sex guru romance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...