Friday 4 January 2019

Review: Living Dangerously

Living Dangerously Living Dangerously by Katie Fforde
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

Gah! Forgot what I wanted to say about this book. Polly is a 35 year old single woman, she works at a health food shop and has dreams of making a living from her pottery. She bumps into an old school 'friend' who invites her to a dinner party. All of the other guests (and the hosts) are wealthy middle-class and fairly smug, especially the single man, David. Later Polly comes to know David better through acquaintance with his rebellious teenage son Patrick.

There is a love triangle/square between Polly, a journalist called Tristan, David and his son Patrick, although I think most readers can see which way Polly is going to jump. I understand that this was Katie Fforde's first novel and it exhibits some rather dated views of how a hero should behave, at times I thought David was like a teenage boy in his ridiculous jealousy when he wasn't even dating Polly - that sort of behaviour screams stalker to me. Also, as I have mentioned previously, Katie Fforde doesn't really flesh out her heroes, they remain shadowy characters whose motivations are vague and never truly explained. David is no different.

If you like novels where friends and family are desperately trying to set our heroine up with a man, she's artsy and involved in saving a local parade of shops from being torn down by developers, where there are snobby dinner parties and surly teenagers and scary housekeepers you'll love this.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...