Monday 25 March 2019

Review: Polaris Rising

Polaris Rising Polaris Rising by Jessie Mihalik
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When Ilona Andrews recommends a book I buy it, no questions asked EVER.

Ada von Hasenberg is the fifth child of the Head of the Hasenberg House in a future where the galaxy is run by the heads of the three High Houses. When her father tries to marry her off to a sadistic son of the Rockhurst House Ada goes on the run, determined not to be forced into a loveless marriage like her two older sisters. But after two years on the run, with a huge bounty on her head, Ada has finally been caught by a group of mercenaries. Thrown into a cell with the notorious Marcus Loch, the Devil of Formax Zero, Ada discovers that hero erstwhile fiance has intercepted the mercenaries' call to her father and is boarding their ship. Knowing her ex-fiance well, Ada knows she will be forced into marriage and possibly forced into betraying her House if she is captured so she and the Devil make a pact to escape.

But as Loch and Ada escape capture they find out that appearances can be deceiving and there may be more to House Rockhurst's actions, motives that could catapult the galaxy into war.

I read an ARC of Nightchaser towards the end of last year and I was a bit disappointed, I loved the premise but I felt Amanda Bouchet had skewed the book too much towards the romance and away from plot. This is the book I wanted that one to be. There are space battles, deserted planets, political dynasties, plotting, chases, fights, advanced technology, secret experiments, kidnapping and plot galore. Sure there's some romance but it's of the urban fantasy low-key variety.

I absolutely adored it and I can't wait for the second book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...