Saturday 17 July 2021

Review: When Stars Collide

When Stars Collide When Stars Collide by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Olivia Shore, opera prima donna, and Thad Owens, Chicago Stars back-up quarterback, are brand ambassadors for a high-end watch company forced to tour the US together promoting the watches designed especially for them at a series of events.

Olivia has been receiving anonymous threatening notes and 'gifts' (which she thinks are linked to the suicide of her long-term ex who was also an opera singer, although not first string) which has unnerved her so much that she has performance anxiety - something she is desperately trying to hide and hopes to overcome before she sings the role of Amneris in Aida at the Chicago Municipal Opera. To add to her woes she's being forced to spend a month playing nice with a dumb jock with a bad attitude to women.

Thad feels like he's always the bridesmaid, never the bride in his professional career. He never quite made it to starting quarterback and now he's babysitting Clint Garrett, a cocky know-it-all with an amazing talent and fifteen years his junior. Now he's being forced to spend a month in close proximity to a Diva with a bad attitude and a stick up her butt.

I'll be honest, I've been pretty disappointed with SEP's last two books. Dance Away with Me started off strongly and then went batsh*t crazy around the halfway mark and First Star I See Tonight was so immerobale that I forgot to write a review when I finished and didn't remember enough of what happened to write one subsequently. In fact I read other people's reviews and other than the cringe-worthy start I don't recall any of the rest of the book from their reviews. So I came to this with some trepidation but, hey its SEP so I'm gonna read it anyway. Well this was SEP at her very best. Thad and Olivia were both fully rounded grown up characters, they got over the initial misunderstanding quickly and became a great couple. Their issues were very real and I could understand their dilemmas.

This was a joy to read from start to finish, a sparkling return to top form.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...