Thursday 3 March 2022

Review: Another Time, Another Place

Another Time, Another Place Another Time, Another Place by Jodi Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars. But probably would have been 4 stars if I had read them in order.

The book opens with Markham and Hunter leaving St Mary's Institute of Historical Research. Then Leon leaves, taking Matthew, Mikey and Adrian with him, to secure the Archive from hostile forces within government who appear to be trying to circumvent St Mary's neutrality for their own gain.

Markham's departure gives these faceless enemies the opportunity to catapult Captain Hyssop in as temporary acting Head of Security, over Dr Bairstow's objections. Determined to stamp her authority over St Mary's, Captain Hyssop tries to take charge of the jumps with increasingly disastrous results.

Then tragedy strikes, in more than one way, and Max can no longer stay at St Mary's.

This is a difficult review to write, because I am reading the books I missed out the first time I already know what happens next which removes all the shock and awe from the things that happen in this book and the later revelations. Also, there is something that happens to Max in this book which, to me, in this book seems pretty trivial but A LOT is made of it in the next book. Having read the next book (golly, it's just like time travelling isn't it), I was really surprised at how minor the incident was. (view spoiler)

Ranging from a minor curious mystery in Tudor times, to the Tower of Babel, and Victorian London this has everything I love about St Mary's and if I had only read it before I got an ARC of the next book I would have given it a solid 4 stars. No Ronan, less of the comedy by rote by a cast of thousands it is all building up to the glory of the next book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...