Wednesday 29 June 2022

Review: The Monument Murders

The Monument Murders The Monument Murders by Rachel McLean
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

A young black architect, responsible for a new development of luxury apartments overlooking the sea, is found murdered on top of Swanage’s Globe monument with a note saying "Go Home". Is the death race-related? Does the "Go Home" note refer to the fact that he is from London? Are the murderers Nimbys out to stop the development or members of the right-wing Wessex Defence League? Or could this be a more prosaic crime of passion related to his wife Sherry or his business partner Bella?

DCI Lesley Clarke must investigate as well as trying to progress her secret investigation into the alleged suicide of her predecessor DCI Mackie.

My reservations about this series continue. Whilst there is a lot of police procedural there doesn't seem to be uncovering of evidence that points to the guilty party, instead there are various clues and then a great leap where the murderer is identified and the motive is briefly given with no explanation of how it was deduced.

Also my initial suspicions about the person behind DCI Mackie's death, which I discounted after one of the more recent books, are now very much in the frame.

Overall, I am enjoying these books still, but they aren't the intellectual exercise that I was hoping for.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...