Thursday 7 July 2022

Review: Thief of Dreams

Thief of Dreams Thief of Dreams by Bec McMaster
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

Zemira and her sister are half-fae, half-wraiths, bred by their father the Wraith King as his weapons. Zemira is a master thief, with the ability to walk through shadows.

Prince Keir of the Court of Dreams issues a summons to all fae princesses, he is looking for his true mate (after 3,000 years). Of course Zemira and her sister aren't invited, but they manage to incapacitate one of the minor princesses that no-one has ever heard of and steal her invite. The Wraith King has demanded that Zemira steal the source of Keir's power, The Dragon's Heart, in return for which he will give Zemira back the piece of her soul he keeps in a vial around her neck.

So it's The Bachelor PNR style. I didn't read The Selection but I imagine it is very similar in premise. There are mean girls who deliberately try to sabotage the other princesses, shadowy assassins and lots of magic.

TBH, my biggest gripe with this is that the novella format meant everything was a bit bish-bash-bosh, I think this could easily have been a full-length fantasy novel. Never mind, I look forward to the next installment.

Free on the author's website for signing up to the newsletter.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...