Tuesday 4 July 2023

Review: The Last Train Home

The Last Train Home The Last Train Home by Elle Cook
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

In 2005 two tipsy people are chatting on the late night tube in London, then the unthinkable happens, the train derails and many are injured. Tom, an investment analyst for a merchant bank in the City helps Abbie, a retail journalist, off the train and to safety.

What happened that night creates a bond between the two of them, a friendship turned star-crossed lovers as they discover they have so much in common - even working in office buildings opposite each other. But every time they get close something happens to tear them apart. Are they fated to be together or is this a case of never to be?

I loved this. I loved a trip down memory lane to the recent past, memories of the London bombings (ONG I remember that so clearly), London winning the bid for the Olympics, the financial crash, all brought to life as Abbie and Tom's lives swirl around intersecting only to twirl away again.

It sort of reminded me of the film Sliding Doors, even though there wasn't that much in common, maybe that vibe of coulda, shoulda, woulda, or perhaps more prosaically it is that Abbie only just caught that tube, a few seconds later and she would have missed it and never met Tom that night.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...