Thursday 28 December 2023

Review: Christmas Pie

Christmas Pie Christmas Pie by Jodi Taylor
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

In this, Jodie's annual Christmas novella, the usual suspects (aka the Disaster Magnets) travel back in time to Restoration England in order to source authentic Christmas Pies (the origins of modern mince pies) so that Mrs Mack can reclaim her baking honour against the women of the Women's Institute.

However, no sooner have they landed than Miss Sykes gets abducted by person or persons unknown, Markham falls over his own feet, the Time Police get involved, and we discover why the London Stone is considerably smaller than it once was. Oh, and there are an awfully large number of pastry-related puns.

There was a very touching scene, however, my mid-range rating reflects the fact that throwing all the different factions into a short story and peppering it with pastry puns leaves very little room for plot. However, I will temper that criticism with an acknowledgement that I read this in dribs and drabs over Christmas Day so I may have missed some of the nuances.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...