Tuesday 26 March 2024

Review: My Favourite Mistake

My Favourite Mistake My Favourite Mistake by Marian Keyes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

This is a follow-up to Anybody Out There?, 18 years later. Anna Walsh was widowed at a very young age, but she managed to find a new life in New York as a beauty PR maven. Now, in her late 40s, post-lockdown her relationship with her boyfriend Angelo has amicably come to an end, she no longer cares about her job and *gasp* she's fallen out of love with New York.

So Anna returns home to Dublin where she realises it may not be as easy as she imagined to get a new job, until her mammy gets her to help out family who are in the process of building a spa retreat on the west coast of Ireland which has turned into a PR disaster, culminating in locals defacing some of the partly constructed cabins. The only snag, the money man behind the venture is Joey, a friend of her sister Rachel's partner, a man she has been avoiding for many, many years.

This is pure Marian Keyes, complete with quirky villagers, and flashbacks to when Anna first moved to New York.

I really enjoyed this, and then partway through it seemed to get a bit bogged down in rehashing Anna's relationship with her former best friend and with Joey, it felt sort of obvious to me what had happened but it felt a bit laboured and could just as easily have been explained up front.

Otherwise, this was sexy, funny, cute, everything I want from the Walsh girls.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...