Sunday 17 June 2018

Review: The Serpent Prince

The Serpent Prince The Serpent Prince by Elizabeth Hoyt
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Well isn't that just typical? I read the entire series just so that I could understand the true depths of depravity Viscount Simon Iddesleigh had sunk to and why he was referred to as a devil, and I have to say I don't get it.

Lucy Craddock-Hayes is happy with her life, living with her father, a retired Navy Commander, she spends her days sketching and doing good works in the village. She has had a sort of understanding with the local vicar for the past three years and she fully expects him to propose ... one day. Then, while out seeing to the sick and elderly she comes across a naked man lying in a ditch. At first she thinks he is dead but when she realises that he is still alive, barely, she has him carried to her home where she nurses him back to health.

Viscount Iddesleigh has been set upon deliberately by men in the pay of a group of men who want to get rid of Simon permanently. The reason why they want to kill Simon is slowly revealed during the book. I rather liked Simon in the country. He was just the sort of sophisticated, witty, debonair nobleman that I was expecting. He brought back memories of two of my favourite Georgette Heyer books Devil's Cub and Venetia, both of which feature dissolute heroes and innocent, good heroines. Unfortunately, I felt this book lost its way a little when Simon returns to London. Simon became less an avenging sword and more like a man who had lost his mind. Lucy on the other hand, seemed to become a little bit of a religious prig.

Overall, I liked this the least of the three books and my favourite is probably the first, or the second, gah, they were both wonderful but this fell flat for me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...