Tuesday 9 April 2019

Review: Devil's Daughter

Devil's Daughter Devil's Daughter by Lisa Kleypas
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I have really enjoyed Lisa Kleypas' historical Wallflowers series and the first three of the Ravenels series. Sadly I just couldn't get into the fourth book (I guess I like my historicals to feature Dukes and not detectives as this has been a common issue for me with historicals with more ordinary heroes). Anyway, that's beside the point.

Phoebe, the widowed Lady Clare and her two young sons travel to the Ravenels' family seat to celebrate the wedding of Phoebe's brother Gabriel to Lady Pandora Ravenel. Phoebe is dreading meeting West Ravenel as he bullied her late husband mercilessly when they were at school. However, when they first meet the sparks are palpable.

West led a thoroughly disreputable life of debauchery and self-indulgence until his older brother Devon inherited the Ravenel estate and title. Now a reformed character he runs the estate for his brother but still feels deep shame for the marriages he ruined and the appalling way he behaved when he was younger.

This novel gave me all the feels. West and Phoebe have some fabulous sparkling repartee, West is amazing with Phoebe's sons, he's a hard worker, he listens to the tenant farmers, he's interested in new ideas, and he's drop-dead gorgeous to boot!

Loved the romance, loved the plot, maybe could have done with a smidge less smexy times (I always find it a little out of place in a historical novel although realistically I know that things weren't that much different) but overall this is what I love from a historical romance.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...