Monday 12 August 2019

Review: The Best Thing

The Best Thing The Best Thing by Mariana Zapata
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars (extra half star for Jonah).

Lenny and Jonah had a short but sweet romance in Paris, then he just ghosted her one day - that was 17 months ago. Now he's in Houston at Lenny's MMA studio and he wants to talk ...

I can't really review this book without spoilers so I will just tell you how it made me feel.

Lenny DeMaio is a typical Mariana Zapata heroine, too much so - I couldn't really distinguish her from several of her other heroines, mouthy, dropping f-bombs everywhere, former athlete.

Also there are three 'secrets' to be revealed by the novel. One of them was blindingly obvious right from the start and frankly I just found it annoying that Mariana Zapata drew out the reveal for so long. We guessed it, move on. The second secret, I also guessed but I thought the reveal came too late for it to mean anything. The third secret, why Jonah ghosted Lenny, I don't think I ever really understood.

Overall, my feeling is that I have fallen out of love with Mariana Zapata, she has taken slow burn and transformed it into unnecessarily long and drawn out, her heroines are a bit same-same (although Jonah was an absolute treat and deserves an extra half star all by himself).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...