Saturday 6 June 2020

Review: Death's Door

Death's Door Death's Door by April White
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Not recommended if you haven't read the Immortal Descendants series.

This is a short novella, written in the COVID period, based on the strange disappearance of the author Edgar Allan Poe for five days just before he died. April White imagines that Poe was a Clocker, although he didn't know it, who travels to present day Baltimore where he meets an extraordinary woman called Alexandra Reynolds aka Ren.

I'll be honest, I have the memory of a goldfish and I have no idea if Ren is a character from the Immortal Descendants or not. If not, then there is a lot of reading between the lines about Ren's history but I kind of like that. Being British I am not as familiar with Poe's work and life story as US readers might be, and I enjoyed learning about him in the novella and in April White's author's notes at the end.

I am definitely looking forward to reading more of the Baltimore Mysteries.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...