Sunday 2 August 2020

Review: Class

Class Class by Jane Beaton
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was hooked when I saw the blurb, like Malory Towers for grown-ups, and it really is.

Maggie Adair is a schoolteacher from Glasgow. She teaches at the rough school where she herself was taught and is living with her high school sweetheart, but when her sister starts making plans about Maggie teaching her two sons Maggie feels stifled by the inevitability of her life and on a whim applies for a position at an exclusive girls' boarding school called Downey House in Cornwall. But how will a bolshie, left-wing, inner city school teacher cope with the rarified atmosphere of a school in a castle (with real turrets), pupils whose parents are diplomats and rock stars and snooty teachers?

Maggie gets the job and is appointed form teacher for an unruly bunch of girls that includes the usual Malory Towers mismatch of girls, a scholarship girl from an Armenian family, a girl who doesn't want to be there, a girl who is out to cause trouble etc. There's a chain-smoking, glamorous french teacher and a boy's school just over the hill with a charming English teacher (who has a lovely dog) who may just be Maggie's soul-mate.

I have to confess I binge-read all three books in a few days so my recollection of the events of individual books is a little hazy - I think this is the one with the scavenger hunt - but I know I loved them.

So if you wished that Enid Blyton had written books for adults then this lovely series could be the one for you.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...