Tuesday 12 October 2021

Review: Man Down

Man Down Man Down by Kate Meader
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Gah! I read it, I think I liked it but it's been so long I can't be sure.

Gunnar Bond is a hockey player, former husband and father whose wife and twin children were killed in a car accident. Since then his only respite from the pain of their loss is texting his wife's phone. Then one day someone answers him. After the initial shock Gunnar starts a relationship with this woman on the other end of the phone, working through his pain and loneliness.

Sadie Yates feels she hit rock bottom a while back and now she's just tunnelling further. Her father is (I think) in prison, she's had to leave LA and move back to Chicago to take care of a step-sister she barely knows and a dog she loathes. She's having to finance everything herself, including taking her sister to ice-hockey lessons.

Of course Sadie is the woman who has been assigned Gunnar's wife's phone number, and of course Gunnar is the professional hockey player who just happens to be teaching at the hockey training. Of course they don't hit it off in real life and moan about it to each other via text (what, you say, yet another riff on You've Got Mail? Why yes I would have to agree).

TBH, hot hockey players, stroppy teenagers, unruly dogs, as she said in Jerry Mcguire, you had me at hello!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...