Sunday 18 June 2023

Review: The Stand-In

The Stand-In The Stand-In by Lily Chu
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Gracie is a people-pleaser, and it has only got worse since her mother's Alzheimer's diagnosis. Now she's stuck in a job she sort of hates, being sexually harassed by her sleazebag boss, doing work for others to take the credit. When she gets mistaken in her local coffee shop for famous Chinese actress Fangli, who is in Toronto to star in a play with the World's Most Handsome Man Sam Yao, it's all the excuse her boss needs to fire her, how will she pay her mum's nursing home fees if she's unemployed.

Then the unthinkable happens, Fangli approaches Grace and asks her to be her stand-in for two months. The play is taking all her energy and she can't go to all the premieres, dinners, charity balls etc on top of that. She will get Grace a suite adjoining hers in the swanky hotel she is staying in and Sam will help her learn how to walk and talk like Fangli. The only trouble is, just looking into the magnificence that is Sam Yao is enough to make Grace lose her mind.

This was okay, a pleasant enough rom-com, but I've read it all before. I don't really understand why this book has received all the accolades it has. I was going to say I had read characters just like Grace before and she didn't bring anything new to the table, but now I see that I have also read The Comeback where the MC is very similar. I much preferred The Comeback.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...