Friday 23 February 2024

Review: Sisters of Fortune

Sisters of Fortune Sisters of Fortune by Anna Lee Huber
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

A story based on the three Fortune sisters, daughters of a self-made Canadian real estate millionaire. Having spent a month travelling, the family board the Titanic at Southampton for the journey back to New York. Flora, the eldest at twenty-eight is engaged to a Canadian banker called Crawford, although her sisters have noted that she has only received one letter from him the entire time they have been away. Now this is where I got confused because I just didn't feel any real distinction between the sisters, but I think the next daughter is Alice, aged twenty-four she was very sickly as a child and so now she is coddled and wrapped in cotton wool. Engaged to a man called Holden, she loves him dearly but feels stifled by his letters which talk of a quiet life in Winnipeg, rather that the life of travel and adventure she craves. The youngest daughter Mabel at twenty-three has been associating with a Jazz musician back home, although its not serious on her side she has played up the romance, hoping it will soften her father to her real wish, which is to attend university. Accompanying them on their journey are their parents and youngest brother Charlie, their older brother and sister are married and chose not to travel.

The trouble with stories about the Titanic is that everyone knows what happened and this proved true with this book. All the time I was reading it I was just waiting for the sinking. Also, because this was based on a real family there was a temptation to google, particularly for pictures of what the girls looked like.

I enjoyed this, Anna Lee Huber has clearly done a lot of research, although she is at pains to point out that she has created a fictional account, particularly in relation to Flora (whose real name was Ethel Flora), but I didn't love it. Honestly, its probably because I'm not a fan of stories about the Titanic, but I requested an ARC because I have read and enjoyed other books by Ms Huber.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley for an honest review.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...