Tuesday 3 April 2018

Review: Extraordinary World

Extraordinary World Extraordinary World by Mary Frame
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Part 3.

After my enjoyment of the preceding two books I confess I found this conclusion to be a bit of a disappointment.

At the end of the second book Charlotte and Paige's ne'er do well, con artist parents have caught up with them and are blackmailing Charlotte to help them with a con in Castle Cove. Charlotte hates lying to her friends and helping her parents but she can't let them take Paige, especially since there is a creepy lawyer who has taken far too much interest in a young girl for Charlotte's liking. But every time Charlotte thinks she may be able to get away from her parents they show her they are already one step ahead of her at all times.

Whilst Charlotte and Paige only came to Castle Cove to escape their ghastly parents, this is the first time we the readers have seen them, other than through Charlotte's memories. Hence, although they were a known factor in the preceding books, they were never present and the third book in the trilogy has a very different feel to the other books. I spent much of the time reading this book thinking, has Paige confided in someone? Do they know what is going on? Whilst my suppositions weren't entirely accurate, and there were unimagined secrets revealed, this felt more like a small town suspense rather than a small town mystery like the other two books.

Overall, while I was pleased that the overarching plotline involving the parents was resolved, I prefered the small town mystery novels.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...