Wednesday 9 May 2018

Review: Hubble Bubble

Hubble Bubble Hubble Bubble by Jane Lovering
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I've read this before but neither reviewed nor rated it!

I have to be honest I think this was a bit of a miss by Jane Lovering, usually I think she can do no wrong but this one didn't do it for me.

Holly Grey is a location scout for TV programmes, she also spends a lot of time caring for her elder brother who tends to talk to walls and get depressed if he is off his meds. Her BFF Megan is one of life's optimists and forces Holly to join a women's group to do magic and make their dreams come true.

Soon there are a leather-clad, long-haired investigative reporters (and their pregnant 20 year old daughters - well just the one daughter), ginger farmers, priapic Scotsmen, slobbering dogs, fke witches and lonely women to deal with.

Kai Rhys has spent his life adrift, not knowing who he really is, feeling abandoned and unworthy, he tends to take out his feelings of worthlessness out on the women he sees, using and abandoning them with impunity until he meets Holly. For some reason this red-haired woman 'sees' him in a way no other woman has ever tried to.

I'll be honest, I thought Kai was a whiner and needed to grow up. He tried to draw comparisons between himself and Holly, but frankly if you had an older brother who demonstrated that he couldn't look after himself, and parents who seemed incapable of recognising his issues, would't you step into the breach? I know I would rather mother my older brother than find out he had been found dead in a ditch after coming off his meds and walking alone on the moors until he froze to death.

In comparison to the other Jane Lovering books I have read this was also short of laugh out loud humour, the 'coven' didn't really go anywhere and I didn't feel invested in any of the characters.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...