Monday 14 May 2018

Review: I Don't Want To Talk About It

I Don't Want To Talk About It I Don't Want To Talk About It by Jane Lovering
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Winter Gregory is a new author who has had a small degree of success with her first book, a quirky guide to headstones in the UK, drawing on the inscriptions to make insightful comments on life and love and human nature. Now she is in Yorkshire, trying to repeat her success with researching and writing the sequel, and also trying to get over her last boyfriend (and editor) Daniel Bekener. Whenever thoughts of Dan and their break-up threaten to overwhelm Winter she talks to her twin, Daisy, who although she lives in Australia and is Winter's opposite in most things, is still her best friend and the one she turns to. In fact that was the cause of the break up with Dan, he felt she spent way too much time talking to Daisy and forced Winter to choose between them - hence burying herself in a tiny cottage in Yorkshire.

Despite her solitary nature and antisocial occupation, Winter soon finds herself befriended by an eight year old called Scarlett, her hobbyhorse Lightbulb, her uncle Alex and grandmother Margaret Hill, who is also Winter's landlady.

Although this is an old book I will spoiler this for those who want to read the book with no expectations/ pre-conceptions.(view spoiler) This book had all Jane Lovering's trademark humour and Scarlett was brilliantly written, a little girl coping with trauma and different from her peers. I loved her and her every action appeared natural and true the way a child thinks. My low rating reflects my disappointment with Winter's eventual love interest.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...