Wednesday 16 May 2018

Review: Whiskey Chaser

Whiskey Chaser Whiskey Chaser by Lucy Score
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I first heard of this from Ivy Deluca's review and bought it on her recommendation. At first I struggled to like this book - maybe the wrong day or the wrong time - but I restarted it and boy am I glad I did!

Scarlet Bodine is the youngest of four children, all her siblings being boys. They live in Bootleg Springs, West Virginia and life revolves around the diner, moonshine and small town gossip.

Devlin McCallister is a young aspiring politician and lawyer from Annapolis, come to stay at his grandmother's cottage and lick his wounds after discovering his career trajectory wasn't fast enough for his ambitious wife, she'd hitched her wagon to a brighter star and was calmly reviewing the pre-nup at their breakfast table. The last thing he needs is the rednecks next door throwing some hillbilly shindig and he's about to give them a piece of his mind!

Scarlet reminds me somewhat of Sookie Stackhouse mixed in with Melanie Smooter from the film Sweet Home Alabama, maybe it's just the southern girl thing but I think it's the sassiness and love of family as well. She runs her own business as a handyperson and rents out holiday properties as well. If anyone can lift Devlin out of his funk, she's the woman to do it. If she's not taking him kayaking, she's introducing him to the delights of pepperoni rolls, moonshine and baseball Bootleg Springs style - and don't lets forget about Bootleg Justice!!

This was a small town romance, a comedy, a strong resourceful, gainfully employed woman who wasn't afraid to say what she wanted, an opposites attract, small town v big city story and I enjoyed it so much I bought the second book immediately! Thanks for the recommendation Ivy.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...