Wednesday 11 July 2018

Review: I Think I Love You

I Think I Love You I Think I Love You by Lauren Layne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The final novel in the Oxford/ Stiletto crossover series – what is the plural of series?

Brit Robbins and Hunter Cross have worked together for years and are platonic best friends. But when yet another guy dumps Brit giving her the ‘you’re a nice woman but there just aren’t the sparks’ line she’s had enough and wants to know why guys always see her as “good ol’ Brit”. After a few glasses of wine with her friends Brit decides that she must be giving off a friend vibe rather than a girlfriend vibe and who better to teach her how to be seductive with men than the King of dating, Hunter Cross?

Of course, when Hunter and Brit start talking seductive moves (and no batting your eyelashes is not seductive), they realise that beneath their platonic friendship could be something stronger.

I read a few reviews of this before I read the book (mainly because I had requested an ARC on NetGalley and was surprised I hadn’t received it/ read the book already) and got the impression that reviewers felt this was okay but not necessarily one of the best. I have to disagree. I love the friends to lover trope, especially the dating guru version and this did it for me in spades.

Hunter and Brit were best friends, the whole ‘you’ve got lettuce in your teeth’, sitting on the sofa in ratty sweats, hold my hair while I puke kind of friends. And they were work colleagues, Hunter was Brit’s boss. And yet the moment Hunter shows Brit how to say goodbye at the end of a date and they look into each other’s eyes? Bam! Suddenly there’s a whole load of tension that wasn’t there before.
Having said that, as befits the final book, most of the old characters make a come back in one way or another and I think I would guess that maybe Lincoln Mathis was Lauren Layne’s favourite character. Or maybe it’s just that his predilection for pink foamy drinks is such a unique characteristic that he is instantly memorable.

In summary, a glorious friends to lovers romance with just enough angst to create a plot but not angst, angst, angst, a farewell to our favourite characters from the previous books and certainly a must-buy for anyone who has read any of the previous books.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...