Sunday 16 September 2018

Review: Duty Bound

Duty Bound Duty Bound by Lindsay Buroker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

Cutter and Master Grindmor have gone missing, 500 dwarves are travelling to Korvann to settle as part of King Targyon's attempts to make the country less xenophobic now that the war with the elves has ended.

Jev and Zenia have to deal with office politics from the captain they effectively demoted, Jev also has to deal with gossip about his private life and fears that his father will arrange a marriage to a high born Zyndari woman.

I liked this but I didn't love it, maybe it's swords and sorcery fatigue from devouring three books in as many days, I felt we covered a lot of the same dithering about Jev and Zenia's romance as we did in the second book, just man up and marry her NOW. Also Zenia dragon's tear is so powerful and can do anything that it obviates the need for cunning or bravery, it's a get out of jail free card all by itself. Finally, after what felt like a very long time in the swamp the ending felt a bit rushed and I had lots of unfinished questions.

So, we still don't know what Zenia's dragon tear IS, we don't know who is writing Zenia the cryptic warnings (I suspect it's the dragon tear somehow), will Jev and Zenia ever get together, will Rhi find romance? I hope that some of these questions are answered in the next book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...