Sunday 28 October 2018

Review: Dark Light

Dark Light Dark Light by Jodi Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This series defies description. It's labelled paranormal but that always makes me think of vampires and shifters - so far there are none of them. What we do have is Elizabeth Cage, a woman with a supernatural ability to read people's auras, although she refers to them more prosaically as people's colours. After her husband died in a car accident she was held in a secure mental institute where her husband's former boss, Dr Sorenson, tried to get her to use her talents for his own political ends. Rescued by a fellow inmate Michael Jones, who turned out to be a James Bond-esque spy and all round bad-ass, she thought she had found the quiet peaceful life she craved, until Jones' betrayal forced her to flee her home.

What happens next is a charming, scary, thrilling mixture of childhood fairytales come to life, mysterious otherworld creatures, daring rescues, creepy rituals and a village which reminded me very much of a super scary children's TV series I watched when I was a child. All these threads are effortlessly woven together with Jodi Taylor's customary humour, sarcasm and gentle romance. Each and every one of her characters is fully realised and finely nuanced. I loved all of them, old and new, good and bad.

Can't wait for the next one.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...