Saturday 3 November 2018

Review: The Other Miss Bridgerton

The Other Miss Bridgerton The Other Miss Bridgerton by Julia Quinn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

Poppy Bridgerton is spending a few weeks with her (very pregnant) friend Elizabeth in Somerset, every afternoon she explores the coastline looking for caves, until one day she stumbles across a privateers' cave and is kidnapped.

Andrew James Rokesby is a former naval captain turned privateer on behalf of His Majesty, couriering letters and documents between the UK, France, Spain and Portugal under the name Captain Andrew James. He is on deadline to deliver some letters to Portugal and has no alternative but to take with him the young woman his men discover hiding among the brandy kegs. However, once they are at sea and he discovers that she is a Bridgerton, cousin to the family that lives next door to his family in Kent, he realises that there is a very real possibility that he will have to marry her to preserve her reputation.

Poppy and Andrew have a great sparky relationship full of innuendo and sarcasm and I really enjoyed reading their exchanges while she was imprisoned on board the ship. I love Julia Quinn's writing and it had an added interest since I spent a long weekend in Lisbon this summer. Unfortunately, I am less enthused about shipboard romances and my enjoyment of the novel overall was tempered by the feeling that I just wanted them to get off the ship which unfortunately doesn't happen for a long time.

I am also surprised to see that I somehow missed the second book in this series (love, love, loved the first book, Because of Miss Bridgerton) so I am off to rectify that omission tout suite.

I received a fre copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...