Monday 31 May 2021

Review: Dear Roomie

Dear Roomie Dear Roomie by Kate Meader
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

How have I missed books 2 to 4 of this series? Okay, cards on the table, I thought this was a totally different book so my rating is somewhat influenced by my disappointment that this isn't A Kiss for a Kiss which is what I thought I was buying - my bad!

Reid Durant is the exception to the rule that all Canadians are polite and friendly. His stepfather has brought him up to consider everyone and everything a potential barrier to being a successful hockey player, including his stepbrother Bastian. He eats healthily, swears off sex during the season and practices for hours every day, yet nothing is ever good enough for his father.

Kennedy Clark is a rolling stone. After her parents died in a house fire she has avoided putting down roots, preferring to travel the world looking for adventure. She's been in Chicago for a while, looking out for her step-grandmother who has recently gone into an old people's home, and is saving for a trip to Thailand teaching English as a second language by dog walking and working as a barista.

When a series of events lead to Reid getting Kennedy fired, and Reid adopting a stray dog, Reid offers Kennedy a job dog-sitting while he is on the road. But soon Reid finds his focus is being tested by his diminutive roomie and his heart is being softened by a small, beaten-up dog. Will opening his heart help or hinder his game?

I felt that this was too much hockey romance by the numbers, I thought I had read it all somewhere before, including playing games with seniors at an old people's home and acting as a concierge service. Maybe if I had read the three intervening books I would have felt more connection, but then I think my views are reinforced by the fact that I thought I had read all the books in this series until I checked - in other word, the characters seemed too familiar.

It was enjoyable but didn't bring anything new to the table to me.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...