Saturday 8 May 2021

Review: Scorched Heart

Scorched Heart Scorched Heart by Helen Harper
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Detective Constable Emma Bellamy is the only detective in London's Supe Squad, a misfit group who police crimes involving the supernatural community. She recently discovered that she is a Phoenix supernatural herself, she miraculously comes back to life 12 hours after being killed, and she's been killed a lot!

When she was five years old her parents were brutally murdered in a small village in Kent, Emma has always been curious about their deaths, were they also Phoenix supes? And if so, why didn't they resurrect? When a man is murdered in the same village, by what appears to be a supernatural creature, Emma's boss orders her to take a week's holiday to 'help' the local force in an unofficial capacity.

But Emma's arrival seems to trigger a series of further brutal murders, including her own! They all somehow seem to tie back to her parents' murder but is the murderer a human or a supe?

I have really enjoyed this series so far but I have to say taking the action out of London to a small village in Kent seemed to slow the pace down too much. Also, for me, the supernatural element was at one and the same time rather unbelievable and also something I had read before (the plot I think not the actual creature). The final nail in the coffin was that I also guessed the perpetrator very early on, because yet again it was something I had read before.

So, all together now, I liked it but I didn't love it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...