Monday 30 August 2021

Review: Strictly on Ice

Strictly on Ice Strictly on Ice by Helen Buckley
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was persuaded to buy this book because the author shares a name with someone I work with, and it was on offer at 99p. I was not disappointed.

Katie Saunders is a former Olympic figure skater whose athletic career was cut short by a terrible accident. She has been forced by a lack of money to appear on a new celebrity ice skating show, very similar to Dancing on Ice but where the celebrities are former sportspeople (eg no soap stars, musicians etc).

Jamie Welsh is a former England rugby player who fell from grace after failing to score the winning try (I think) at the World Cup and being branded a love cheat which led to the failure of his marriage. Although significantly better off than Katie, Jamie has also been persuaded to appear on Strictly on Ice by the money as his luxurious home is not cheap to maintain and the celebrity endorsements have dried up.

The show's producers have decided to liven up the ratings by bringing on Katie's former doubles skating partner Alex Michaelson at the last minute as a judge to fuel public speculation about a potential romantic reunion.

Told partially in flashbacks and partially in real time, watch Jamie and Katie as they make their way through the series and deal with the events of the past.

I really enjoyed this and I would have loved for it to be longer.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...