Monday 9 January 2023

Review: One Day With You

One Day With You One Day With You by Shari Low
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

This novel takes place over the space of a single day. It concerns five people: Tress, who is heavily pregnant, and her Finance Director husband Max; Max's best friend ER doctor Noah and his wife Anya who works at Max's firm; and Tress' neighbour Nancy, a sixty-six year old widow who has been a friend and substitute mother to Tress since she moved to Glasgow after a whirlwind courtship. At the end of the 24 hours all their lives will be completely different.

Although the book blurb goes into a bit more detail I don't think I can say more without becoming spoilery. Suffice it to say that Tress goes into labour unexpectedly and Nancy goes to her school reunion to meet her childhood sweetheart who she hasn't seen for fifty years.

This was pleasant enough and a good read as you would expect from Shari Low. I guessed pretty early on what was happening, and to be honest there wasn't any attempt to prolong the suspense. My biggest issue is that I've read something very like this before, not totally but just similar. I'm not sure whether its another Shari Low book or someone else - okay I've looked at other Shari Low books I've read and it seems to be a motif of hers to bring together a group of people united by a situation in ways that only become clear later on, I've read One Last Day of Summer and that is probably what I was thinking of, although The Story of Our Secrets has a similar vibe.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...