Thursday 17 August 2023

Review: Emergency Contact

Emergency Contact Emergency Contact by Lauren Layne
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

When New York lawyer Katherine is in a car accident just before Christmas her employer calls her next of kin contact - which just happens to be her ex-husband Tom. Tom was literally on his way to the airport to fly home to his family in Chicago for Christmas where he intends to propose to his girlfriend Lolo when he gets the call. Despite his misgivings and their antagonistic relationship, Tom can't leave Katherine to spend Christmas in hospital alone, especially not since her father died in hospital on Christmas Day, but with a concussion she can't be left at home. The only solution? Take Katherine with him to Chicago.

What follows is reminiscent of that 1980s film Planes, Trains and Automobiles as Tom and Katherine's travel plans are thwarted at every turn and they adopt ever more ludicrous ways to get to Chicago. Now, I am not a fan of that film and I am afraid I wasn't a great fan of this book, despite being an avid reader of Lauren Layne's books. It all felt too contrived, too ridiculous. I can see this as a cheesy Hallmark Christmas film all too easily. I think I got over-excited at seeing a Lauren Layne book and just requested it without reading the blurb.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...