Tuesday 31 October 2023

Review: The Christmas Tree Murders

The Christmas Tree Murders The Christmas Tree Murders by Andrea Hicks
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

DNF at 9%.

I know, I know, how can I DNF at 9%? I'm sorry but this is supposed to be the first book in a series but it harks back to a previous investigation. By page 29 we have been told TWICE that Camille's husband Henry is known as Harry. The book screams anachronisms, for example Camille, the former Lady Divine, lends her servant clothes and takes her to the theatre with her daughter FFS. The characters are caricatures. Camille says she loved Harry until he dumped her for his mistress, but frankly he seems to be a chauvinist pig (even for the unenlightened 1920s) so it is difficult to understand what she ever saw in him.

Anyway, I didn't like the writing style, I didn't warm to the characters so I DNF.

Available on Kindle Unlimited.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...