Monday 9 October 2023

Review: Only Good Enemies

Only Good Enemies Only Good Enemies by Jennifer Estep
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Vesper Quill has convinced Lord Callus Holloway, the Imperium ruler, and Kyrion Caldaren, the leader of the Arrows, the Imperium’s elite fighting force, that she and Kyrion are not a bonded pair using a pair of gloves that mimic human skin (when one member of a bonded pair is injured the other immediately manifests a similar mark on their bodies).

With Callus no longer taking an interest in them, Kyrion and Vesper have gone their separate ways, with Vesper taking Kent Corp over and improving profitability drastically by making things that actually work properly. However, it seems as though more of her inventions have been sold to Techwave which plans to use them to mount an offense against a neutral planet.

The truth about Vesper's father is revealed and Kyrion and Vesper learn more about the powers of a bonded pair.

I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that I just don't like space opera. As I said in my review of the previous book, I'm a bit underwhelmed. I've read all this before, one way or another. Poor, downtrodden, no magic, drone suddenly finds out she does have magic, its just of the super special variety and really she's more powerful than everyone else. Blah, blah, blah.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...