Wednesday 16 October 2024

Review: 1982: A Year in the Life of Wendy Wood

1982: A Year in the Life of Wendy Wood 1982: A Year in the Life of Wendy Wood by Jason Ayres
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

It's New Years' Eve 2022 and Wendy Wood is 'enjoying' a karaoke night at the local British Legion Hall. A stroke two years ago has left her confined to a mobility scooter and she's regretting all the mistakes she made with her life. Then a stranger approaches Wendy with the opportunity of a lifetime. She has been selected to go back forty years to 1982 with the chance to put her life back on the right track with the help of a magical bracelet which will warn her if she is making bad choices.

Back in 1982 Wendy was the lead singer with a band called Velvet Temptation. They could have made it big, but egos, infidelity, bad luck, and artistic differences coincided to scupper their chances and Wendy has spent the last forty years working for minimal wage at local supermarkets.

Returned to 1982 Wendy must steer the band through shark-infested waters and change her future.

I enjoyed this, but I felt it was too straightforward, I understand that this is part of a series in which each book is set in a different year of the 1980s. For those of us who were young in the 1980s this is a trip down memory lane touching on the music, the TV, the celebrities, the news stories. However, I do wonder whether a younger reader would have the same enjoyment. I also worry how different the other books will be if they follow a similar premise.

Read on my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Caught Off Guard

Caught Off Guard by Catherine Cloud My rating: 5 of 5 stars Matthias Brandl is a German playing NHL hock...