Wednesday 8 July 2020

Review: The Endless Beach

The Endless Beach The Endless Beach by Jenny Colgan
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

This looked like a sweet book set by a beautiful Scottish beach with a heroine who owns a small cafĂ© called the Summer Seaside Kitchen. It was … and it wasn't.

Flora used to work in a top London law firm for American lawyer Joel, now he works for the resident gazillionaire Colton and he and Flora live in the grounds of Colton's magnificent home. But Joel is a very closed off man; Flora doesn't really know how he feels about her, is she real to him or some kind of selkie muse? It doesn't help that Colton has Joel haring off around the world for weeks at a time.

Intertwined with Flora are her three brothers, one of whom is dating Colton, her BFF Lorna and the local doctor Saif as well as a bevy of minor local characters.

This novel hits some quite strong themes, probably the only one I can mention that isn't a spoiler is that Saif is a refugee from Syria and his wife and two sons are still missing. However, despite the strong themes it still manages to be sweet and cosy and everything I'd want from a Jenny Colgan novel.

This is the second book in a series, although I read it as a stand-alone novel I think knowing the back-story with Flora and Joel would have helped me understand their love story more.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...