Wednesday 9 November 2022

Review: About Time

About Time About Time by Jodi Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Aanndd this series just keeps getting better, even though I'm not sure I can truly explain it coherently (although it all made sense when I was reading it, honest guv). I really don't suggest you start the series here as there are so many characters whose back-stories are laid out in the previous books, although you could probably get away without reading the St Mary's series beforehand (although why wouldn't you? They're awesome!).

The Time Police appear to be riding a tide of popularity, they are tipped to win a parliamentary vote to award them more funding and everything is looking rosy. Then a trip to arrest a minor criminal selling plastic skulls to gullible peasants blows up in their faces, unravelling unknown facts about Jane's family and the death of her parents. The secrets break up Team Weird (or Team 236 to give them their official designation, just when they were starting to get things right. Luke is threatening to leave the Time Police if he can't get reassigned, Matthew has gone to St Mary's, and Jane is hiding in her quarters arguing with Bolshie Jane.

With illegal trips to 1940s America to meet with Nikolai Tesla, a jump to a secret location which turns out to be way scarier than it first appears, and a brilliant comedic scene with Luke and his father goading their enemies this is Jodi Taylor gold, also I didn't miss the hidden nuggets she just tossed in like throwaway lines (of course I can't remember a single one at 3:36 am when I'm writing this because I've just flown halfway round the world and can't sleep).

Anyway, loved it, loved it, loved it. Can't wait for the first Time Police Christmas novella - Christmas dinner may be a bit late at our house this year.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...