Saturday 19 November 2022

Review: The Murder Club: An absolutely addictive cozy mystery

The Murder Club: An absolutely addictive cozy mystery The Murder Club: An absolutely addictive cozy mystery by Alice Castle
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Beth's self-absorbed mother Wendy needs Beth's help when her Bridge partner Alf dies suddenly during the tea break. He was an elderly man so his death is being seen as inevitable, but Wendy is convinced he has been poisoned.

In other news, Jake has got into Wyatt's, Beth is still doing absolutely no work (for which she is being paid by Wyatt's), Katie's dog Teddy has served its purpose and has now been consigned to a dog-walker and I don't expect we'll hear from him again. Oh, and Belinda the middle school bully mother is having a hard time exerting her power now the boys have gone to Big School and most of the other children didn't get into Wyatt's.

As always, Beth's social life, family life, and general faffing take precedence over any actual plot and in this case the identity of the murderer and the reasons are utterly ridiculous.

As noted in my previous reviews, my feeling is that these books are so 'cosy/cozy' that there is very little detecting involved, we read a lot about coffee in chi-chi shops and expensive handbags, and cat hairs then out of thin air Beth solves the crime without (as my maths teacher used to say) showing the workings. It is always as an afterthought that someone asks 'how did you know that X was the murderer' just so we the readers can find out what happened. These are okay but TBH if I didn't have the eighth book sitting on my TBR pile as an ARC and the books are all on Kindle Unlimited I probably wouldn't bother reading any more.

Read on my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...