Friday 25 November 2022

Review: Happy Place

Happy Place Happy Place by Emily Henry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sabrina, Cleo and Harriet met at college and have been each other's 'ride-or-die' friends ever since. Every summer they and their significant others have met up for a week of drinking and eating lobster at Sabrina's family's multi-million-dollar holiday home. But this year things are different; Sabrina's father is selling the villa.

Harriet and Wyn, Cleo and Kimmy, Sabrina and Parth, each couple has their secrets which will be unveiled over a tumultuous week. Does this signal the end of their friendship? Harriet is the main character, she gets to the villa prepared to tell everyone that she and Wyn split up six months ago, but when she arrives Wyn is very much in situ and Sabrina's news makes them decide to keep their break-up to themselves for the time being.

Told in vague flashbacks interspersed with real-time from their annual vacation I'm afraid I lost patience with this story long before the end. Ordinarily I love Emily Henry's novels and I was really excited to be offered an advanced copy to review but I found this all a bit juvenile, everything could have been resolved in about 30 minutes if any of the characters had actually told the others the truth at any point, instead they all run around making assumptions and indulge in a lot of navel-gazing. Truthfully, I didn't warm to either Wyn or Harriet. Sorry, just not for me this one.

I was offered an ARC of this novel by the publisher via NetGalley in return for an honest review.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...