Friday 14 June 2024

Review: A Deadly Discovery

A Deadly Discovery A Deadly Discovery by Ciar Byrne
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

Virginia (Ginny) Woolf and her husband Leonard, together with her sister Vanessa (Nessa) Bell and her (former) lover Duncan live in Rodwell, close to Lewes, West Sussex (in separate houses, in case that wasn't clear). As some of the advanced wave of Londoners moving to West Sussex, Ginny feels superior to most of the others such as Mrs Daphne Rivers, whose husband's origins were very working class until he made sufficient money as a stockbroker in the City to buy one of the grandest houses in the village, or Mrs Alice Dudeney, a successful author of romantic novels.

One day, Ginny and Nessa get dragged by Mrs Rivers into meeting her son Gideon, an extraordinarily handsome young man, and feted archaeologist, together with his fiancé Jasmine Zain Al-Din, the daughter of a wealthy French-Syrian family.

However, the next day the village is shocked to learn that Gideon was murdered, battered to death by his own tools at the dig site where he had recently uncovered a small tablet thought to have been brought back from the Crusades. Worse still, Ginny's gardener's son-in-law has been arrested by the local police for the murder. Ginny's gardener and his daughter implore Ginny to reason with the police detective and/or find the real killer.

As befits the Bloomsbury Set, everyone appears to have multiple lovers, both male and female, and there are multiple possible motives for murder including jealousy (from numerous people), illegitimate children, professional rivalry, and potentially money. Everyone is lying about knowing other people. Suspicion lands on one person after another. There is also a mysterious figure in black haunting the lanes/following people.

I'll say straight off that I've never warmed to Virginia Woolf or her writing so she was going to be a difficult character for me to like. However, my issue with this book was that it wasn't sure whether it wanted to be a fictional story about the Woolfs and the Bells, with lots of detail about the décor in Nessa's house and their friends, or a cosy mystery and it sort of fell between two stools for me.

I have some reservations about the method the murderer used and why they killed some people but not others. Also I question the physical appearance of the tool the murderer used. (view spoiler)

I note that there are other cosy mysteries featuring famous people (the Mitfords spring to mind) and I have avoided them for the same reason I have issues with this book. Totally off topic, but if I were writing this sort of cosy fiction I would make our detective famous-person-adjacent eg a fictional friend or servant, that way the reader can peep into the lifestyle but focus on the mystery.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: A Very Irish Christmas

A Very Irish Christmas by Debbie Johnson My rating: 4 of 5 stars Three and a half stars. Cassie O'H...