Tuesday 2 July 2024

Review: The Ballad of Smallhope and Pennyroyal

The Ballad of Smallhope and Pennyroyal The Ballad of Smallhope and Pennyroyal by Jodi Taylor
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Three and a half stars.

At last the origin story of bounty hunters extraordinaire: Lady Amelia Smallhope and Pennyroyal, well Smallhope at least, I don't think I know much more about Pennyroyal's background.

Lady Amelia Smallhope meets Pennyroyal for the first time when he steals the diamonds she inherited from her mother from her rapacious sister-in-law's safe. Soon the two of them have fled the scene (avec les diamonds naturellement) and Pennyroyal has transported Amelia to London in the blink of an eye.

With a sick friend to assist and grasping moneylenders, Smallhope and Pennyroyal decide to become bounty hunters - and so the legend was born.

It seems odd to gripe when I loved this book so much but I still don't know much about Pennyroyal's origins (ooo hope there's another book), also I wanted to see all those missions involving St Mary's and/or the Time Police from Smallhope and Pennyroyal's POV but instead they were just mentioned in passing, I would have been happy for the passages to be copied verbatim from the relevant other books if necessary and I think that this might be a hard read for a newcomer to the series (what is the plural of series?).

Anyway, gripes aside, loved it, loved it, loved it.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Things We Hide from the Light

Things We Hide from the Light by Lucy Score My rating: 4 of 5 stars Police Chief Nash Morgan got into la...