Tuesday 30 July 2024

Review: The Cracked Mirror

The Cracked Mirror The Cracked Mirror by Chris Brookmyre
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was debating with myself how much I could actually say about this book, but the blurb does it neatly for me:
You know Penny Coyne. The little old lady who has solved multiple murders in her otherwise sleepy village, despite bumbling local police. A razor-sharp mind in a twinset and tweed.

You know Johnny Hawke. Hard-bitten LAPD homicide detective. Always in trouble with his captain, always losing partners, but always battling for the truth, whatever it takes.

Against all the odds, against the usual story, their worlds are about to collide. It starts with a dead writer and a mysterious wedding invitation. It will end with a rabbit hole that goes so deep, Johnny and Penny might come to question not just whodunnit, but whether they want to know the answer.
So I was trying to reconcile these two parallel stories (well actually there are three), one minute I'm in a sleepy English village with an octogenarian little old lady who has somehow solved multiple murders, the next I'm in Hollywood with a hard-boiled PI - maybe I should have read the blurb LOL.

Penny Coyne is beginning to think she might be losing her memory, especially when she receives an invitation to a swish wedding at a Scottish castle which will also signify the merger of two publishing houses. Penny has no inkling of why she has been invited, surely briefly working for the groom's father forty-plus years ago can't be the reason?

Johnny is investigating what looks like a clear case of suicide in a Hollywood film set, but he's not convinced, then his new partner is killed after someone deliberately torches the film studio to conceal the evidence. His only clue is that the deceased man's writing partner has left LA for Scotland to attend a wedding. The longer Johnny is in Scotland the more similarities he sees between his case in LA and the events in Scotland - almost as if his was the film version and this is the book ...

I have never read a Chris Brookmyre novel before, although my sister has recommended him to me, so I had no idea what to expect. It did take a while to get into this, particularly when the book wrenches from Hollywood to a sleepy Scottish village and back again, but once Penny and Johnny were both at the wedding things started to come together. I must admit I had a smidgen of suspicion about what was happening, but the unravelling of the plot(s) was very satisfying.

Overall, I loved it, a total Mindf*ck.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Things We Hide from the Light

Things We Hide from the Light by Lucy Score My rating: 4 of 5 stars Police Chief Nash Morgan got into la...