Friday 12 July 2024

Review: Missing Person: Alice (The Finder Mysteries)

Missing Person: Alice (The Finder Mysteries) Missing Person: Alice (The Finder Mysteries) by Simon Mason
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I only requested this book because I wanted to read the next book in the series, then I saw that it was based around Sevenoaks in Kent, which is very close to where I live, so I thought I would request this too.

Our narrator, 'the Finder' of the series, is an Iraqi-born former police detective who assists police forces in finding missing people.

When a young girl's body is found in a lake near Sevenoaks there is evidence linking her to a local man, Vince Burns. Mr Burns is relishing the notoriety and seems keen to imply that there may be other victims, he seems to want to be a famous serial killer. Nine years ago a twelve year old girl called Alice Johnson went missing while on her paper-round and her body was never found. The local police call on the Finder to find Alice('s body) and hopefully pin her murder on Vince Burns.

As the Finder retraces Alice's steps and reinterviews anyone who knew her then, he finds a child of great contradictions. Where des the truth lie?

This is a difficult book to categorise. Its a quiet, thoughtful, measured detective story, with the Finder trying to get inside Alice's head just as much as following clues and re-interviewing people. He also analyses the people he interviews to assess their credibility. We often say people piece together the evidence and that is a very good way of describing this detective process. Nothing felt like a leap of imagination or something obscure mentioned in passing, everything followed logically, including a few blind alleys.

Overall, I really enjoyed this. My only gripe was the references to the book the Finder was reading - I do hope his reading matter won't be some kind of allegory/commentary on each missing person in the series. On to book 2.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Things We Hide from the Light

Things We Hide from the Light by Lucy Score My rating: 4 of 5 stars Police Chief Nash Morgan got into la...