Monday 1 July 2024

Review: Daydreamer

Daydreamer Daydreamer by Susie Tate
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lucy Mayweather has a tendency to daydream, in fact her daydreaming has made her a very successful fantasy author under the name LP Mayweather, but she can live in her own little world too much which is why she took a job as Executive Assistant in her brother's best friend Felix's London office. Unfortunately, the kind boy Lucy remembers is now a hard-nosed businessman whose office runs on fear and pressure.

Since he left their small village all those years ago Felix hasn't really thought about Lucy much, he certainly doesn't know that her knack for storytelling has brought her fame and fortune. He thinks Lucy needs the job and that otherwise her mother (his former nanny) would have to support her, so he does everything he can to get Lucy to toughen up, fit in, and generally become a corporate drone.

Despite his misgivings, and breaking the bro code, Felix and Lucy come together and things are good, but Lucy still hasn't come clean about her writing and Felix has deep-seated trust issues after a previous girlfriend betrayed him. Unfortunately, those two things come together in a flashpoint that could tear them apart.

I read this twice. The first time I didn't love it, felt there was something missing, maybe I was looking for the humour or the badassery of some of the previous books/series. However, I reread it (mainly because I didn't write a review at the time and didn't have enough recall to write one afterwards) and really loved it. Felix is just such a steamroller when he wants to get things done he gets blinkered and he genuinely couldn't see any other way of doing things, or any other conclusion to draw. Despite Lucy having been in love with Felix since she was a child (and basing every single hero in her books on him), she does stand up for herself and call out Felix for never having showed any curiosity about her.

Overall, loved this and can't wait for Gold Digger, the next book in the series.

I received an ARC from the author.

Available on Kindle Unimited.

Sadly, this was the last book I read on my Kindle which I accidentally left on the platform of East Dulwich train station on Sunday afternoon - when I got back it had gone - farewell my lovely.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Things We Hide from the Light

Things We Hide from the Light by Lucy Score My rating: 4 of 5 stars Police Chief Nash Morgan got into la...