Wednesday 7 August 2024

Review: The Fall-Out

The Fall-Out The Fall-Out by Sophie Ranald
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

DNF at 44%.

Naomi is married to Patch (Patrick) with two small children. She and three friends meet every month and chat on WhatsApp most days. They met while watching their respective other halves play football and while some of the other halves have been and gone, the Girlfriends Club remains constant.

The story opens with the friends preparing for the funeral of a close friend, as the group struggle to come to terms with their grief they are dealt another bombshell when a former friend, Zara, turns up at the funeral.

Zara has always been effortlessly glamorous, sophisticated, jet-setting around the world for work. Oh, and she was the one who was dating Patrick originally.

Zara's returns seems to fracture their tight-knit group, suddenly she's meeting up for drinks with individual members of the group, popping round to see Patch's mother, etc and Nami begins to feel increasingly isolated as the once busy WhatsApp group falls suspiciously quiet. Is Zara trying to ostracise Naomi? Is she trying to win Patch back?

This had Shari Low vibes, complete with flashbacks to when the five women were all still friends. Unfortunately I have fallen out of love with the way Shari Low keeps the reader n tenterhooks the entire book only for the 'reveal' to be a let down and I could see this going the same way. Also, TBH I didn't find Naomi a very likable character (or Zara) so I was rooting for Patch to go off with someone else LOL.

Anyway, I'm nearly halfway through and its just Naomi's insecurities swirling around and around so I'm giving up.

I received an ARC from the publisher via NetGalley.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: A Very Irish Christmas

A Very Irish Christmas by Debbie Johnson My rating: 4 of 5 stars Three and a half stars. Cassie O'H...