Tuesday 6 August 2024

Review: The Grandest Game

The Grandest Game The Grandest Game by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Where to start? I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it.

When the Inheritance Games ended with the announcement that there would be an annual competition hosted by billionaire Avery Grambs and the four Hawthorne brothers to solve riddles/puzzles and potentially win life-changing amounts of money I was intrigued. However, as someone else commented, all the competitors this year seem to be rich kids - so where's the incentive?

Very much in the style of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, participants can win an entry to the Grandest Game, but there are also invitees. Seven contestants make their way to a private island owned by Avery, including: twins whose father blamed his death on the Hawthornes, an elderly woman who was once on Tobias Hawthorne's legal team, two former contestants from last year's competition who also appear to have their own personal rivalry, a guy who wants to lead a criminal gang and needs the buy-in, and another girl who I can't even remember - did her Dad commit suicide or was it the twins' dad? And that my friends was the problem. Too many characters that didn't really shine out, too many proto-romances/hatings, too many puzzles that didn't really make sense, especially when the group were split into three and they all had different puzzles.

Overall, I want to read the next one but I'm not sure I'll pay release day prices.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: A Very Irish Christmas

A Very Irish Christmas by Debbie Johnson My rating: 4 of 5 stars Three and a half stars. Cassie O'H...