Tuesday 3 November 2020

Review: An Act of Villainy

An Act of Villainy An Act of Villainy by Ashley Weaver
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Our detective duo Amory and Miles are drawn into another murder investigation.

One of Amory and Miles' friends, the investor Gerard Holloway, is directing a new play in London's West End and invites them to watch the dress rehearsal. The leading lady, Flora Bell, who turns out to be Gerard's mistress, is receiving threatening, albeit vague, letters but before Amory can persuade her to contact the police she is brutally murdered on the stage while the cast and friends are attending a first night after party.

Amory and Miles investigate with the consent of their favourite detective but it seems as though everyone had a motive. Could it be her understudy Dahlia? Or the lover and co-star she spurned for Gerard? Or Gerard's wife? Or Gerard himself? Or even her ne'er do well brother Freddie? Or the villain in the play?

I have to say this ended in a way I did not see coming. Arguably no-one could have predicted the motive for the murder from the clues, and yet it didn't feel like a con on the reader. As with many readers I would like to better understand Milo's behaviour, but I think we have seen a small glimpse into his heart - only the next book will tell.

If you like Colombo and Poirot and 1930s British aristocracy then I think you will love this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: Winter Lost

Winter Lost by Patricia Briggs My rating: 4 of 5 stars Mercy hasn't recovered from what the artefact...