Monday 27 May 2019

Review: Welcome to Paradise

Welcome to Paradise Welcome to Paradise by Rosalind James
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Imagine a reality TV show where contestants live like settlers in 1885.

Mira Walker is a management consultant with a distant and judgemental father, she and her boyfriend Scott enter a reality TV show where the winning couple can win $1 million. Scott is a lawyer and convinced that he has a winning strategy, highly competitive he wants to win at any cost.

Gabe and Alec Kincaid are brothers who have entered the competition for different reasons. Good looking and charming, the brothers have obviously been selected for their visual appeal.

From the moment Gabe first lays eyes on Mira as she stands watching a sunset outside their hotel on the eve of the competition he is struck by her smile and her capacity for joy.

When I got an email alert from eReaderIQ that this book was free (BTW check this site out - alerts when books by your favourite authors go down in price, or specific books, as well as general alerts when books drop significantly in price) I was intrigued because I had never seen/heard of this book from one of my favourite authors. This actually 'felt' more like a book by Susan Elizabeth Phillips than Rosalind James and I got the feeling that this might have been an old book from her back catalogue, although Goodreads informs me that this was first published in 2013, which is not that long ago.

Nevertheless, my feelings about the style and age of the novel aside, this was a fun read as the typical mixed bag of stereotypical contestants (token black couple, token hispanic couple, glamorous young women, intellectual couple, gay brother and sister, famous couple etc) learn to live like settlers, building fences, milking cows, living off the land and entering weekly competitions to survive being voted off the competition by their teammates. As always the competition has a few twists for the contestants, friendships are forged, alliances are formed and people reveal their true selves under pressure.

I read somewhere that everyone wants a Gabe and I couldn't agree more, a handsome charming Doctor with a heart of gold, he and Mira are destined for each other - although they aren't alone in showing well in adversity. Intrigued I have been drawn into buying the second book in the series, which I assume will feature Alec.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Review: A Very Irish Christmas

A Very Irish Christmas by Debbie Johnson My rating: 4 of 5 stars Three and a half stars. Cassie O'H...